Our DS Smith site in Burscough is looking to recruit a new Production Manager. The Production Manager’s primary role is to ensure a smooth operation on the Corrugator Machine whilst reducing costs within the department, primarily by productivity increases, increasing raw material yields and the implementation of optimum working practices across the shifts whilst maintaining the Quality and Safety standards. If you have a technical background within manufacturing and possess strong leadership skills we would love to hear from you!
What the role will involve…
The holder of this role must maintain close liaison with the Operations Manager, Engineering Manager, Health and Safety Manager, Quality Manager, Human Resources, Planning, and Sales.
The role will focus on the involvement of all staff in improving quality and waste levels, the effective housekeeping of all relevant areas, feedback to planning to improve on schedules and effective management of all controllable costs in the factory area.
The successful candidate will …
• Lead, manage, coach and develop the shifts to achieve continuous improvement goals
• Improve shift team performance in all aspects of customer quality, production delivery, maintenance efficiency and all costs
• Supply the daily operation review with information on any production issues ensuring fixes are in place for a smooth operation
• Control waste and rejected products across shifts whilst defining root cause of all waste and report details to Operations Manager
• Ensure that all production teams are aware of critical matters that affect them, such as company policies, procedures, performance of the department and the revisions to their working methods
• Identify personal, personnel training, and development needs to Operations Manager
• Required to conduct Personal Development Reviews with direct employees on an annual basis and formulate a departmental training plan in conjunction with Team Leaders and Human Resources
• In conjunction with HR and Health and Safety Departments, ensure that all team members are trained to meet the required performance criteria and that appropriate retraining is completed when job roles and responsibilities change
• Be aware of the Company Health and Safety Policy and your joint responsibility for your area of work
• Assist in any corrective actions required to improve Health and Safety standards in the factory
What we would like candidates to have…
• Experience of working within manufacturing/engineering
• Strong technical background
• People motivator able to develop and grow internal talent
• Ability to understand, work with and train to Lean Manufacturing principles is desirable
• Continuous Improvement mind-set with experience of process improvement
• Be able to demonstrate how our corporate values can be applied in the workplace: Caring, Challenging, Trusted, Responsive and Tenacious.
About DS Smith:
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £4.8 billion. The organisation employs over 27,000 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition.