Technical Operations Manager - Kemsley
Technical Operations Manager - Kemsley
We are a leading European manufacturer of high-quality recycled papers. Our papers are used by our packaging division for conversion into board for making corrugated boxes. Kemsley Paper Mill is the biggest paper mill in the UK, and it forms part of the DS Smith Paper division within Supply Engine. Here’s what you need to know:
- Kemsley produce over 800,000 tonnes of paper a year from our 3 paper machines, and we employ over 400 staff;
- We are the flag ship of Paper Mills within the DS Smith group;
- Some of our customers are household names such as Mondelez and Amazon;
- We are at the helm of innovation in our sector and challenge ourselves to always do things better, smarter and faster;
- In 2018, announced we have the capacity to recycle the 2.5 billion coffee cups that are used in the UK annually;
- Sustainability is at the heart of our business, and our energy efficiency projects (including a new combined heat and power plant) will reduce Kemsley’s carbon footprint by 30%;
- We are wholly committed to employee progression and career development, and will actively support employees on their career journey;
- We internally developed our OPOM (Our Paper Operating Model) programme; a world-class lean management programme that is now delivered across DS Smith sites globally.
We have an excellent opportunity for a results driven Technical and Operations professional to join our Kemsley Senior Management Team as Technical Operations Manager. This role will see you as a core member of the Senior Management Team, providing expert knowledge and support to the wider mill operations function. You will be able to prioritise a busy workload and lead by example to deliver an excellent level of customer service, acting as the link between the mill and our customers, whilst also having key involvement across our Quality, Technical, Production and Engineering teams.
What being a Technical Operations Manager at DS Smith will involve…
Reporting to the Mill Manager you lead Technical Operations within the Mill. The Technical Operations Department is responsible for Product Quality and associated Quality Management Systems, Product Development and Raw Material supply. This role has a wide scope and will also include the following:
- Ensure a safe working environment at all times.
- Support and drive operational excellence at all levels.
- Display clear leadership skills, ensure performance and manage a multi skilled team.
- Support both the Production & Engineering Manager in daily and site management.
- Represent Kemsley Mill for External Affairs such as Industry and our Customers.
- Be an ambassador of continuous improvement ensuring a consistently developing workplace and represent Kemsley within the BAT Group.
- Build a team to capture and develop talent.
- Ensure compliance of products.
- Work closely with the project management team to support business plans and whilst remaining cost efficient.
- Be a key member of business development plans within the mill.
What we would like our candidate to have…
- Good communication, with the ability to communicate at all levels, including senior management, both within internal and external customers.
- Ideally degree qualified in a Technical / Scientific subject.
- Ability to lead a team and drive performance.
- Experience in controlling spend and costs.
- Experience in a paper manufacturing environment would be desirable.
- Knowledge of LEAN manufacturing is highly desirable.
- Demonstration of a high level of Industry & legislation knowledge including across paper and plastics grades and treatment technologies.
- An ability to work to and meet set deadlines, both customers defined and internal.
- Commercial negotiation skills.
We are always looking for new self-motivated highly-skilled talents to join us on our journey. If you have a strong Operational, Technical (Production or Engineering) background and are looking to join an exciting place of work, please get in touch.