Structural Designer - Belper
An opportunity has arisen for a Structural Designer reporting to the Structural Design Manager.
To be considered, you need experience in a similar role, with the ambition and capability to present your designs to the end customer. You will also have a clear talent for and knowledge of structural packaging engineering; graphic design layout & production issues.
Being a member of a close-knit and diverse team, as a Structural Designer, you will be working with customers of varying sizes, providing innovative and cost-effecting packaging solutions in line with business objectives and deadlines. You will have the chance to produce designs of your own creation, translating these into CAD, producing prototypes of your design and putting these together yourself, giving you the full life-cycle experience of your creations. You will work in industry sectors in line with our sales & marketing strategy, you will have the opportunity to work in both established and new markets, creating innovative and bespoke solutions for our customers
This role will suit a confident, self-motivated & organised designer with an ability to inspire and work well within a team, happy under pressure, multi-tasking and juggling a varied workload.
The successful candidate will have the following responsibilities:
• Design units that are fit for purpose and that satisfy any client guidelines that may be supplied
• Understand our manufacturing capabilities and ensure designs are developed to maximise efficiency and cost
• Liaise with colleagues and other departments to achieve design expectations
• To be actively involved with new business opportunities
• To constantly diversify the product and client portfolio through a professional and pro-active approach to innovation and new design
• To help generate sales and new business at both existing and new accounts through technical expertise
• To improve profitability through value engineering of the customers supply chain
• Effective collaboration with designers across the DS Smith network, which will on occasion include travel between UK offices
The successful candidate will have the following key skills:
• Experience in a structural or production design background
• A strong creative streak
• Exceptional technical knowledge & attention to detail
• The ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously in a highly dynamic and fast paced environment
• A flair for client communication
• Good organisational skills & self-motivated
• Innovation & individuality
• A team player with passion
• Strong knowledge and experience in using ArtiosCAD, Adobe Creative suite, Microsoft Office and a 3D rendering programme
About DS Smith:
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £4 billion, the organisation employs over 28,500 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition.
• 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
• Competitive Pension and Life Insurance Package
• Annual cycle to work scheme