- Contract Type
Covering Aylesford, Sheerness and London – Permanent
We have an excellent opportunity for a driven, hands-on Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) Manager to join us at DS Smith. You will be responsible for the delivery of all site safety and environmental initiatives and needs, as well as working closely with all team members on site in an interactive coaching role to support and develop our culture in all areas.
Reporting to the General Manager, this is an excellent opportunity for you to take the next step in your career, joining an established site working for a FTSE 100 business, creating products for some of the world’s most recognisable brands. This is a challenging role that will requires a strong skill set, proactive mind-set and the ability to engage with your peers to raise awareness at the Aylesford and Sheerness manufacturing sites & the Mill Street London office.
You will need to ensure procedures and controls are implemented and followed as well taking on strategic responsibility for evaluating sites legal compliance and supporting improvement initiatives.
What else will this role involve?
- Be the appointed responsible person for HSE issues within the sites and provide support as required
- Provide specialist advice on safety, health and environmental issues to all staff
- Identify areas of risk within the business and develop measures to reduce and control
- Assist in the development of new procedures and guidance to enable the business to remain compliant with legislation and industry standards
- Develop and mentor the employees to ensure understanding, competence and compliance with the rules of H&S
- Liaise with statutory authorities such as HSE, legal bodies, corporate office, auditors and client representatives
- Ensure all accidents, incidents, near misses and property damage are appropriately reported and investigated whilst assisting managers in continually improving on safety targets
- Lead regular meetings with the site safety committee to discuss performance and drive actions for improvement
- Ensure HSE data is recorded and undertake analysis of results and trends to determine risks to the business and report as required
- Ensure all employee safety competences are documented
- Drive a safety improvement culture, ensuring that all employees are engaged and enabled
- Ensure that the site is compliant with all current and future legislative requirements
- Innovation of new processes and procedures to ensure continued development of on-site safety programmes
- Lead Safety and Environmental audits to ensure adherence to standards
What we expect the candidate to have:
- Qualified in either NEBOSH or IOSHH managing Safety
- Qualified in Environmental management
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Confidence to present information to your colleagues
- Continuous Improvement mind-set
- Root Cause analysis skills
- Able to work under pressure
About DS Smith: DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £4.8 billion. The organisation employs over 28,500 people worldwide and is continuing to grow both organically and through acquisition.