Transport Team Leader - Recycling
A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Transport Team Leader to join the DS Smith Birmingham Recycling site. The main purpose of the role is to assist the Business Manager in directing and controlling all transport and appropriate commercial matters in such a manner as to deliver the Company’s operational strategy and objectives without compromising standards in respect of Wolverhamptonpeople, plant, machinery and transport. To assist the Business Manager in ensuring the Company’s strategy, objectives and policies are effectively communicated, paying particular attention to all matters related to Health and Safety.
This role will deputise for the Line Manager in their absence.
If you have strong knowledge of the transport industry, planning experience and excellent management skills then we would like to hear from you!
- Assisting the Business Manager in ensuring that costs are controlled in line with business plans to agreed standards and timescales
- Ensuring support is given where required to the administrators with recording employees attendance, absence, holiday and weighbridge operation
- Assisting in the recruitment, selection and induction of new employees
- Chair team briefings, performance hub sessions and toolbox talks
- Ensuring that all depot employees fully understand and are committed to their objectives and responsibilities
- Ensuring that all depot processes and procedures are effectively managed
- Controlling the service and maintenance schedule of all road fleet so they remain legally compliant and roadworthy at all times
- Keeping damage costs to a minimum and ensuring all damage is reported and repairs are carried out expediently
- Ensuring compliance with Duty of Care legislation and maintain a comprehensive working knowledge of waste carriers licence & waste transfer notes
- Identifying opportunities and working to continuously improve added value in the business and minimise waste
- Monitoring and controlling stocks of consumables to ensure transport operations are not disrupted and costs are managed within budget
- Managing road fleet and drivers to remain compliant with all legislation and internal policies to protect the business operating licence
- Dealing with out of hours activity as and when required
- Previous management experience - leading and motivating teams and individuals
- Strong knowledge of transport legislation and experience of transport planning
- Good IT skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Sound knowledge of Health & Safety and understanding of the importance of H&S in the workplace
- Understanding of quality management systems
- Previous experience of working within Recycling would be an advantage
- A valid driving licence is essential
About DS Smith:
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £4.8 billion, the organisation employs over 32,000 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition.
Salary: Up to £32,000