Health, Safety & Environmental Manager
We are looking to hire a Health, Safety & Environmental Manager (HSE) to lead and develop the Health, Safety and Environmental function of the business, ensuring that it has the right skills, processes, materials, information and procedures to consistently meet legislative requirements, Customers requirements and the standards established by formal management systems (e.g. ISO 9001 / 14001 / 18001).
What aspects are involved in this role?
Reporting to the Site General Manager, the HSE Manager will help create a zero-accident culture and a deep-rooted passion for health and wellbeing across the business, by applying best practice management techniques and providing expert HSE guidance to assist managers and employees in meeting their HSE responsibilities.
- Be the appointed responsible person for HSE issues within the site and provide specialist advice to all staff.
- Through consultation and agreement, develop a strategic plan which is aligned to UK specific initiatives and the North European plan.
- Identify areas of risk within the business and develop and implement measures to reduce and control.
- Assist in the development of new procedures and guidance to enable the business to remain compliant with legislation and industry standards.
- Develop and deliver in-house training in line with needs of the business
- Develop and mentor the employees to ensure understanding, competence and compliance with our company policies.
- Liaise with statutory authorities such as HSE, legal bodies, corporate office, auditors and client representatives.
- Ensure all accidents, incidents, near misses and property damage are appropriately reported and investigated whilst assisting managers in continually improving vs safety targets.
- Lead regular meetings with the site safety committee to discuss performance and drive actions for improvement.
- Ensure HSE data is recorded and undertake analysis of results and trends to determine risks to the business and report as required.
- Provide coaching, specialist advice and practical support on all HSE matters to the site and business management teams.
- Ensure all employee safety competences are documented.
- Drive a safety improvement culture, ensuring that all employees are engaged and enabled.
- Lead Safety and Environmental audits to ensure adherence to standards.
- Health & Safety IOSH/NEBOSH Graduate Diploma or equivalent
- Environmental IEMA Associate qualification or equivalent
- Experience in a lead role for Site Safety
- Ability to analyse data and present in appropriate formats
- Excellent interpersonal skills, able to influence others at all levels
- Knowledge of Root Cause Analysis and Continuous Improvement processes
- Ability to manage change programmes using project management methodologies
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Wide industry sector knowledge
- Experience working in a matrix organisation
- Confident when presenting to large groups and senior stakeholders
- Development of business cases for Capital Expenditure requirements
About DS Smith:
DS Smith is a leading supplier of recycled packaging, both within the UK market and throughout Europe. A FTSE 100 listed business with a turnover in excess of £5.7 billion, the organisation employs over 32,000 people worldwide & is continuing to grow both organically & through acquisition.
• 25 days holiday plus Bank Holidays
• Competitive Pension and Life Insurance Package
• Annual cycle to work scheme