Duncan Print Group is a highly regarded print and packaging company, working with some of the biggest global brands and creative agencies. The company has a strong emphasis on quality, customer service and investing in the latest technology and equipment.
Following significant growth we are looking to appoint a Production Manager to join our team. Our brief is to secure the services of a highly technically competent manager who is used to working in a fast paced environment and can demonstrate a strong work ethic.
As the Production Manager you will work closely with department leads across the production flow and will be responsible for the efficient functioning of all the production departments including line manage production operatives. We are looking for someone who can motivate a team to deliver performance to the highest standard and who will continuously improve performance.
Specific duties within the role include:
- Utilise Lean Production techniques to make continuous improvements
- Oversee a first-class health and safety culture; ensure all legal requirements are met and that the department is compliant with ISO 9001, 14001 and BRC standards.
- Ensure that effective processes are in place for: planning, purchasing of materials, control of inventory, supporting product quality levels, production record keeping and the maintenance of equipment
- Implement robust preventative maintenance schedules for all equipment
- Report on progress and manage performance against KPIs.
- Managing resources in order to complete the daily delivery schedule in a timely manner, optimizing the efficient use of materials, labour and machines
- Communicating with other department managers to resolve any issues that may affect delivery to customers in a timely manner
- Direct and manage production operators including regular performance reviews
- Co-ordinating and delegating duties to line managers and staff in the factory
- Responsible for the recruitment, cross training and coaching of staff members to ensure the best team is in place over the short, medium and long term.
- Performing quality checks on all machines and products to the recognized frequency and standards, record results and remedy minor faults to the limits of instruction and training given.
- Liaise with the Operations Manager on urgent applications as and when situations arise, ensuring all communication channels are constantly maintained
- Manage the production schedule and overtime to minimise lead-times
Further training in specialist areas will be available for the right candidate.
Specific experience required for the role
A minimum of 3 years’ management experience within a manufacturing/production environment, with a proven track record for improving the performance of productivity and staff. Additional key skills are set out below:
- Ambition and determination to drive the business towards ‘Best in Class’ performance
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Previous experience of working in packaging / print production is vital.
- Extensive knowledge and experience of colour management.
- Full knowledge and understanding of print processes and printability (litho & digital).
- Repro experience / knowledge would be a bonus.
- Project management capabilities.
- Client facing personality.
- Working knowledge of Lean processes
- Extensive knowledge and experience of operating within ISO 9001, 14001 and BRC standards
- Inclusive, motivational leadership skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- The ability to act under pressure with calmness, clarity of thought and decisive authority is essential
- Good IT skills are required, knowledge in Google Docs or Microsoft Office and be able to produce a wide range of graphs, reports and formal documents using this software.
- Experience of using an MIS is also preferred.