6 days left
- Contract Type
We are working with a leading high street leader as they expand their in-house packaging department. They are in the search for a Packaging Buyer with the knowledge to provide support across all elements of the packaging life cycle.
This renowned leader has over 50,000 product lines, all with varying packaging requirements, with an estimated annual spend of over £150m on packaging alone.
Responsibilities of the Packaging Buyer
• Support development and execution of sourcing strategies across all elements of packaging including hangers, cartons and primary packaging.
• Identify opportunities to improve the cost of packaging through efficiency, design or economies of scale, work with departmental colleagues and the business to align on and execute opportunities.
• Identify and execute quick wins to reduce packaging spend to allow re-investment in higher quality materials where needed.
• Support development and execution of the hanger strategy.
• Seek out packaging innovation through NGO, supplier partnerships, primary market research. Explore ways to move to circularity in our packaging using more sustainable materials.
• Run RFP’s and lead commercial negotiations for packaging related sourcing.
• Represent Procurement and packaging spend on appropriate forums.
• Use ScanMarket as e-Sourcing platform to ensure effective eRFX and contract management.
• Develop effective channel and buying strategies when sourcing packaging to simplify the operational burden when placing orders.
• Support B& buyers in should cost analysis to understand packaging costs and use cross-costing to identify cost opportunities.
• Explore opportunities to improve consistency of packaging across the business to simplify management, improve efficiency and cost.
• Identify preferred and nominated suppliers to be used by our product suppliers, ensuring effective contracts and commercial schedules are agreed and transparent.
• Act as the commercial expert for all packaging related spend working closely with finance to understand opportunities to improve cost that are reported in the product margin.
• Working with legal to negotiate appropriate contracts with packaging suppliers that are clear and transparent.
• Consider Total Cost of Ownership when assessing cost of packaging, including unit cost, delivery cost, payment terms, taxes (current and future) and environmental capital.
• Work with legal to advise and develop strategies that maximise flexibility when it comes to packaging design and IP implications.
• Support cost modelling to understand impact of meeting enterprise wide packaging targets.
• Actively explore market opportunities through NGO, supplier partnerships, primary market research and push ways for using packaging as a differentiator from competition.
• Identify ways to ensure appropriate amount of packaging related tax is paid.
• Work closely with Packaging Manager on forecasting, ordering and supplier management where nomination of packaging supplier is the chosen route.
• Provide commercial escalation support for order management when needed.
• Multi-year experience working in a similar packaging buyer role in a large multinational business in retail industry
• Experience managing packaging spend in excess of £100m
• Expertise in developing and building effective sourcing strategies in a highly matrix environment
• Proven track record of developing strategic partnerships with key suppliers
• Ability to lead teams in a matrix environment and drive change through effective influencing
• Excellent knowledge of packaging suppliers and their capabilities globally, with strong a network of key personnel in this space
• Experience of the buying process in the fashion industry either directly or indirectly
• Proven experience of managing packaging suppliers from contract management, forecasting, innovation and QBR’s
• Experience of working with packaging suppliers internationally and supporting nomination/forecasting, especially in hangers and product packaging
• Demonstrated ability to forge close business relationships with internal and external stakeholders at senior management levels
Skills & Competencies
• Excellent strategic thinking and planning skills
• Excellent project management skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and work in a fast pace, matrix environment
• Able to prioritise effectively and manage business expectations
• Strong business and commercial acumen
• Tenacious and determined
• Collaborative and proactive in style
• High attention to detail
• Self-motivated, focused and results orientated
• Driven with proven track record of success
• Ability to influence senior internal and external stakeholders
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to travel as required (>20%)
Apply for Packaging Buyer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly