Harrison Scott Associates
Salary Negotiable, Commensurate with experience
Reports to the Technical Services Manager.
· To identify, design and implement improvements to existing processes which will enhance operational productivity, product quality, production efficiency and legal compliance.
· Divide time in carrying out project orientated work as well as internal requirements of the Technical Services Department.
· Support the Technical Services Manager in technical projects and the management of resources.
· Use extensive Problem-Solving knowledge & tools to resolve problems including customer complaints.
· Ensure compliance with COSHH regulations by advising on and writing of specialist COSHH risk assessments.
· Coordinate and conduct routine analysis of effluent waste samples to meet ISO 14001 and TSD product quality to meet ISO 9001 as and when required.
· Coordinate and conduct regular and non-routine work requests to provide technical support to all Departments including QC on finished products, QA on incoming materials, Engineering and Operations support.
· Act as a deputy to the Technical Services Manager in times of absence by leading the section in meeting the business demands, prioritising and allocating work requests to the Scientists.
· Help plan and execute technical projects to time and within budget.
· Provide effective technical services in relation to product and process related issues to enable Production to achieve best quality.
· Measure and improve process capability and work towards BAT wherever possible.
· Support the Technical Services Manager to ensure staff are trained, motivated and providing a high quality and effective service.
· Improve and optimise Mill processes for both product and process related projects.
· Carry out technical visits to customers and suppliers.
· Work across the supplier / customer supply chains to optimise/ develop resolutions to product and process improvement.
· Ensure effective time management so that a balance between projects and internal Technical Services Department requirements is maintained.
· Lead cross functional teams in technical projects.
· Liaise closely with external stakeholders to manage new products and processes.
· Collaborate with colleagues outside of sphere of own remit and share best practice.
· Ensure compliance with COSHH regulations specifically by carrying out specialist Risk Assessments on laboratory and Operations activities.
· Monitor, calibrate and maintain scientific equipment and arrange for dditional maintenance and adjustment when required by on-site maintenance or external suppliers, ensuring all standards are in-line with the required quality management systems.
· Conduct atmospheric monitoring on site to a set schedule to support the site COSHH requirements.
· Resolve routine and non-routine problems and queries including customer complaints using approved problem solving techniques as and when required.
· Carry out scientific procedures to a high standard, including, but not limited to, the analysis of effluent waters, finished products and incoming (raw) materials as and when required.
· Conduct routine analysis of effluent waste samples, as required by the Environment Agency, and TSD product quality as and when required.
· Diligently record results and notify the appropriate personnel of results which fall outside defined limits, e.g. specifications, CoA.
· Carry out administrative tasks including, but not limited to, ordering of chemicals and consumables.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
· A good understanding of complex papermaking / manufacturing processes.
· Education to Degree level preferred, ideally as a Chemist or other scientific disciplines with strong chemistry acumen.
· Good degree of computer literacy, specifically in relation to standard Microsoft Packages.
· Laboratory experience is essential.
· Experience of working within a manufacturing environment essential.
· Experience of commercial project management and problem solving would be desirable.
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills (including technical report writing skills).
· Ability to work within a team environment.
· Willingness to travel within the UK and abroad.
· High degree of flexibility will be advantageous to support projects, trials and problem solving.
Pension, Private Medical Insurance.